How is viscosity index of lubricating oil determined?


 Ans-: Determination of Viscosity index. Viscosity index of test oil is determined with the help of two types of standard oils viz. Pennsylvanian oils and Gulf oils having V.I.'s 100 and 0 respectively.

The V.I. of the test oil is given by the formula

V.I. = (L-U/L-H)X 100

where 

V.I. = Viscosity Index of the oil under-test

L= Viscosity at 100°F of the low-viscosity standard oil having a V.I. of O (i.e., Gulf oil) and also having the same viscosity as the oil under test at 210°F

U = Viscosity at 100°F of the oil under test.

and 

H = Viscosity at 100°F of the high-viscosity standard oil having a V.I. of 100 (i.e., Pennsylvanian oil) and also having the same viscosity as the oil under test 210°F.

Post a Comment

Thankyou

Previous Post Next Post